Ever wanted to shoot snowscapes and wildlife? Our Japan Photography Tour gives you the chance to capture the colour and movement of a unique country while experiencing the sights.
Winter: Feb 16 - 22 (7 Days)
4 people maximum, led by Alfonso Calero - fluent in Japanese, pro photographer, tutor and guide.
Ever wanted to venture further with your photography and new cultural experiences? Our Japan Photography Tour gives you the chance to capture the colour and movement of a unique country while experiencing the sights with an experienced, Japanese speaker, guide and instructor with professional photographer Alfonso Calero.
We will learn:
- Master Composition & Manual Settings
- Advanced Editing Techniques
- Landscape Photography
- Wildlife Photography
- Bird Photography
- Very small group
- Learn at your own pace one on one
- Hand-picked BEST locations
- Led by an experienced photographer/guide/tutor fluent in Japanese
- Truly authentic travel experience - a trip of lifetime!
- Abstract Landscapes & Nature
- Sea Eagles
- Whooper Swans
- Ural Owls
- Red Crowned Crane Birds
USD$ 4999 twin share
USD$ 5499 single room
- 6 nights Accommodation
- 6 Breakfasts, Lunches & Dinners
- Domestic Flights to Hokkaido
- Mini Van Transport
- All Tuition (6 hours per day), translating, photography, tour-guiding
- International Flights
- Entrance Fees
- Travel Insurance
- Snow Shoeing Tour, Ice Fishing, Sea Eagles Cruise + Owl & Crane Birds Tour & Ice Drift Cruise.
What to Bring: Photographic & General Gear
- DSLR or hybrid mirrorless digital camera
- Lens 24-70mm range & 70-400mm range
- Tripod & Cable Release
- Dependable Portable External Drive
- Laptop and power supply
- Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop
- ND Variable Filter (up to 10 stops)
- Up to 20 kg luggage and appropriate warm clothing (Ski Pants, Gloves, Binnie, Snow Boots, Long Johns, Down jacket). Average temp -10-15 degrees celsius.
Day 1 - Fly into Asahikawa from Haneda (Tokyo) to settle for the next 2 nights in Biei for snowscapes. Biei is known for its minimalist snowscapes. In the afternoon we will go for a snow shoeing walk along the river. This will give us a chance to access landscapes on foot. The experience of walking on the snow and sitting by the river for a cup of tea and cake is a great way to start our winter journey.
Days 2 - Biei Snowscapes & Frozen Waterfall Shoot. Shirogane Blue Pond and Waterfall nearby are usually frozen over this time of the year. If we are lucky we may see wild deer. Some popular snowscapes are Seven stars, Mild Seven and the Christmas Tree. The White silence of this winter wonderland is the perfect backdrop for dreamy snowscape photography.
Day 3 & 4 - Morning Drive to Lake Nukabira to explore the winter sport of ice fishing followed by some landscape shots of the frozen lake sunset and sunrise.
Day 4 & 5 - Sunrise shoot at Lake Nukabira frozen lake and Mount Horoka. After breakfast a Morning drive to Lake Akan to discover the Indigenous Cultural museum of the Ainu. After lunch a short drive to Tsurui-Mura Bird Sanctuary to shoot the Red Crowned Crane Birds feeding followed by an afternoon searching for the Ural Owls. Ending with a sunset of the crane birds flying home to a nearby river.
Day 4 & 5 - Sunrise shoot of the Red Crowned Crane Birds waking up on the misty/foggy river. Waiting for their mating dance. After breakfast our last chance to capture the crane birds feeding at the sanctuary.
Day 5 & 6 - Slow drive to Rausu via Lake Kussharo to photograph Whooper Swans. After lunch continue to explore the Shiretoko Peninsula coastline for some seascape photography in the early afternoon. Editing and critique session at night. Morning Sea Eagle Cruise on the ice off the coast of Rausu port. Afternoon drive to Abashiri for some more exploration of the elusive Deer and Red Fox.
Day 7 - Morning shoot with Drift Ice Cruise and our last chance to photograph snowy seascapes. Early afternoon flight back to Haneda from Memanbetsu Airport near Abashiri.
Deposit and Cancellation Policy (per person)
- A deposit of $US1000 per person is required to secure booking
- Via Bank Transfer
- Cancellation More than 120 days before a trip: 100% refund of deposit.
- Cancellation Between 120 and 30 days: 50% refund
- Cancellation Less than 30 days: 0% refund
- Final payment is due 120 days before the workshop/trip starts.